notebook

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

because it is, after all, fall...

...I'm starting to put the garden to bed for winter. Well, basically, I'm just digging up and potting things I want to bring inside before the frost hits. Thyme, oregano, basil, sage, the gardenia I moved outside for the summer. I've found that I don't have enough big pots; I'll have to pick up some more. It's been in the 80s for the past couple of weeks and still feels like winter could be months off, but these things can sneak up on you. Still, since we haven't had frost yet, it's too early for cleanup. We'll just let those tomatoes sit out there as long as they want to.

I also filled the bird feeders after letting them sit empty basically all summer (I got sick of pulling up sunflower seedlings after the sparrows had unceremoniously dumped everything -- the feeders are mounted on the fence over the garden). I'm glad to see the chickadees are back. They keep me company all winter and remind me of home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home