notebook

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Didn't recognize you with clothes on...

I'm feeling like a bit of a celebrity today, because yesterday at the farmer's market I was recognized by a family who I helped deliver back in June. Mom and Grandma came up to me: "You look really familiar -- are you a nurse? Do you work at ____?" They said that I'd set up their delivery cart early and predicted that the baby would be born before midnight "And you were the only one who was right! Everyone else thought the baby wouldn't be born until morning!"

Eventually I figured out who they were and remembered quite a few details about the delivery. Every delivery is unique and I think I could remember a lot about most of them if given a chance. Sometimes though I need to hear a few notes before I can name that tune, if you know what I mean. The prediction was a giveaway because I make it a policy never to make predictions like that. I tend to be very superstitious at work, and making predictions is just asking for trouble. These folks, I remember, really pressed me for my best guess, and I think I said something like "Oh, I don't know, I think you might have her before midnight, but I could be wrong." I remembered Grandpa too -- It was easier to remember him because he was in street clothes both that night and yesterday at the market.

This poor girl, I did set up her delivery cart early, because I hate surprises. And it never fails, if you think someone is just poking along and you have plenty of time, the next thing you know they're checking her and she's 10 cm and +2 station, and you crack open the cart and you're frantically dumping instruments on the sterile field, and you don't have lidocaine drawn up, and, well, there are more important things you should be focusing on at that point. So I set up the cart early, when it's quiet. And she had been 3 cm at her last check, but when they checked her again she was fully dilated. And I came out looking like I had it pegged, when really, it's just kind of the way I work..

It was still pretty cool, though.

I'm so torn about talking about work here. Because really, talking about patients is not cool. I'm not so worried about these folks because we were practically shouting her birth story to a market full of veggie shoppers yesterday. But I don't want to end up like one of those girls that do the circuit of morning programs after they've been fired because of their blog. It helps that I'm in a little blind alley here with practically no one wandering by, but still. And I suppose what would really be the kiss of death would be if I said anything about any of the docs...

But I've got some great stories. Catch me over a beer in one of those high-backed booths that no one can eavesdrop into sometime...

In other news -- walked through Black Creek Park yesterday. At one point I got myself way over to the side of the path because I heard a mountain bike coming up behind me -- which I thought was odd, because I've never seen a mountain bike there, in fact they're not allowed on the trails. But there was definitely something big and fast coming up behind me on the trail -- except that now it sounded like it wasn't on the trail anymore, it was heading off through the brush into the field... When I turned around I saw two white-tailed deer springing off into the field. Didn't get a picture of them, they were too fast. So were the three rabbits I saw, and most of the frogs, but not all...














This guy let me snap him.

Also yesterday C and I tried to return the Big Head kid's box when we went to swimming lessons. I hadn't noticed before, but it was a little salt cod box. He was keeping baseball cards in it before it became a frog wagon. He came to swimming lessons late and left early, so we didn't catch him to give it back

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home