notebook

Thursday, August 04, 2005

days of yore...

Lots of reminiscing about my childhood today for some reason. S had swimming lessons today, and when I asked how it went, he told me "I float like a bird!" J says that they had the kiddos floating on their backs and told them to flap their arms like a bird...

I had to tell S that I remember learning to float on my back as a kid, and I remember the hardest part about it -- my butt would always sink! He thought that was just great -- managed to crack him right up. Seriously -- I had to learn how to float on my back for about 3 years running... I'd get it by the end of the summer, but by the next year I'd lose the knack and end up with a sinking butt again.

The other thing was while I was at lunch (I asked for someone to come cover me and watch my labor patient while I ate, then they had to force me to actually go. Her water broke just as I was about to leave, and I just knew she'd be pushing by the time I came back.... and I was right) someone in the breakroom was watching Days of Our Lives. I told everyone that when I was 3, that was my naptime -- I remember peeking out my bedroom door & hearing the themesong and seeing the hourglass.... They haven't changed it in 33 years!

Coolest thing in the past week -- my brother made me an Adirondack chair! He's been setting up a workshop in his basement and did it all with hand tools. I got some tinted stain to finish it and just need a little time to do it now. My bro just finished working on his degree and my sister in law is throwing a big party in a couple of weeks. I got him some cool presents for graduation, and his workshop: a book by Toshio Odate (he totally rocks) and a Japanese handsaw made for dovetails and tenons from here. Hope he likes them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home