notebook

Sunday, May 22, 2005

22 May 2005

So how did we spend the weekend in advance of the cardiologists appointment? Excavating a great hole in the backyard -- after ripping up a decaying ground-level deck, we decided to lay a flagstone patio, so we dug out a 75 foot square area to 6 inches deep. Our soil is all red clay. You know what bread dough is to a piece of toast? That's what our soil is to, say, a brick. Much worse than the heavy, wet heart-attack snow we're used to shoveling from our native New England. J dug it up, and I moved it to our garden beds in the back and the front of the townhouse. I don't know what I'll plant in it -- maybe dynamite. I dragged C around to the garden centers on Saturday, looking for ideas. I know we're going to get some silver mound artemisia at her request, since it's soft and fuzzy. I'm going to get a bunch of varieties of thyme to plant in the cracks of our flagstone patio, and maybe chamomile. And any other low growing, perennial things that could withstand a little foot traffic. Saw red currant bushes at one place -- will have to go back and get one. I'm a big fan of landscaping you can eat.

Speaking of eating, that's what else we did in advance of the cardiologist appt -- eat great heaps of really bad for you food. Friday was fish fry night, Saturday was pizza and wings, chased by bucket loads of ice cream. Popovers for breakfast this morning. I've been trying to eat mostly vegan for the past couple of months (in preparation for having my own cholesterol levels re-checked) but... I don't know, cheating just looked really good. Back to the straight and narrow tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home