notebook

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

light and water

Drove home heading into a freaky summer storm today -- saw it looming ahead of me as I chased it eastward, great sheets of rain darkening the sky to the north, the occasional bolt of lightning. While I was still on dry road, I saw there was a faint rainbow bridging the road ahead of me -- the red most visible, the blues and purples fading into the storm clouds.

Then I drove through where the storm had just been -- the road was wet, trees dripping. Finally, I was into the rain itself, but somehow the clouds were still ahead of me, and the sun was beating down on me just as sure as the rain. Steam was rising from the asphalt and the cars that passed heading in the other direction were kicking up spray -- and the spray and steam behind each car supported its own rainbow. No joke -- four cars went by me heading westward, trailing rainbows in their wake. Magnificent.

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger Rurality said...

I love it when cool unexpected things like that happen!

Baker Creek Seeds is in zone 6a, so they probably do have zone 5 stuff. Their print catalog is really nice too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home