notebook

Saturday, July 26, 2008

So, apparently, if you're a cat, this is a pretty tough neighborhood...

Amber got beat up in our own backyard, in a fight that started on the deck out back and moved to the front of the house under the living room windows. I tried to get out to break it up without letting Samantha and Katya out. Amber got chased across a couple of yards with her assailant in hot pursuit. Wednesday night when I got home from work, I noticed the aft end of her tail was not moving.

After a round of x-rays it looks like there's no break -- there's a bite wound that's causing some swelling and impinging on the nerves. As of yet, no permanent damage, though there's still the possibility we could end up with a bob-tailed cat if things don't get better.

This, after I spent my June vacation earning my kitty wound-care merit badge treating an abcess on Samantha's left rear foot. Twice a day I had to soak her foot in an epsom salt solution for ten minutes, apply antibiotic ointment to the gash on her foot and give her a dropper full of oral antibiotics for good measure. I don't think it needs saying that she wasn't very appreciative of my efforts.

And, I don't know why, but it bothers me that they both apparently got beat up while running away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home